A historical document dated 1839 attests the construction of an oven ‘for public use’ in the ‘ruined house belonging to the Church of the Oliveto’, while its actual use actually began in 1860.
The ancient community ovens, once present in all Umbrian villages, with different characteristics depending on the place, are the witnesses of a cooking technique but also of self-management of the local community. In the village oven, families took turns baking bread, cakes, roasts or other, depending on the occasion, involving different families who came together to bake together.
In Umbria, the tradition of the collective oven has survived for many years especially in the small villages. Almost completely disappeared, the ones that remain are today small chests that preserve stories of ancient but precious moments of sociality, of exchange between people, to share time, resources and tools, to be together and regain possession of ancient knowledge.
Via degli Olivi, 2
Passignano sul Trasimeno