Once an ancient Olivetan parish church, the origins of Pievaccia date back to 1191, the year in which it was mentioned for the first time in the papal bull of Pope Celestino III with the name of “Pieve San Martino”.
Its history runs for a long time intertwined with that of ecclesiastical Orders such as that of the Camaldolese and Olivetans, whose coat of arms is still present at the structure, despite the anomalous presence of 6 hills instead of 3, until it was sold together with the lands and other goods belonging to the clergy.
Like many large farmhouses of the time, during the world wars the Pievaccia became a refuge for the masses fleeing the neighboring villages, who were housed in the rooms and stables by the owners of the house.
In recent decades, extensive renovations have transformed the ancient parish church into an accommodation facility.
Loc. Pievaccia / Cozzano, 34
Castiglione del Lago