Situated on a small hill near Laviano, the building dating back to around the year 1000 partly retains its original structure. It is the church where Santa Margherita prayed as a child and where she left to go to Cortona and begin her life of penance.
In 1967 it was restored and during this intervention a Romanesque arch was discovered inside and the Gothic style portal on the outside; this restoration also included the construction of the floor planking basket in oak wood obtained from the processing of the original roof beams of 1749.
Next to the door, an Etruscan cinerary urn serves as a holy water stoup and, next to it, a wooden urn contains a reproduction of the body of Santa Margherita dating back to around the end of the 1700s.
Castiglione del Lago